Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:36:01 +0100

Dave Hall wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 02:43 -0700, Sigurd Nes wrote:
>> How about:
>> A general application running on a mobile device - which synchronizes
>> with phpgw using the syncml implementation from last year.
>>
>> This application could serve as a template / best practice on how to
>> make those kind of applications related to wherever one could need
>> such a feature across phpgw.
>
> Can you provide some more info for this one?  We can then include it in
> the ideas list.

Maybe it could be modelled by a schema defining fields to transfer - along with
the target application.

The definition of fields could be something like data types and datasets if it
is a list.

So the most basic example would compile as 'notes'.

> A few things you might want to think about too.
>
> There are various mobile platforms, given that there is 3 FLOSS based
> ones openMoko, maemo and android with small market shares.  Then there
> are the 2 dominant platforms - WinCE and the various flavours of Symbian
> it may be hard to choose which platform to use.

Is possible to have it as a java application - working on both platforms?

> The core phpGW PIM modules are already supported by the PIM software on
> the mobile devices.  Other modules syncing via syncml would need use one
> of the existing syncml data types, which is likely to be somewhat
> limiting.

Wasn't aware of this being a problem - so it is limited to PIM ?

Regards

Sigurd