Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] line lengths

From: Maât
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] line lengths
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 12:02:38 +0200

Sigurd Nes a écrit :

> Seems to me that you are the only one that (really) want this - why not let
> it go?
>
> Regards
>
> Sigurd

Well general code elegance *is* somethings we should target as an
important objective.

Not with a high priority of course because having something that works
well is much more important, coding features that users want also should
also have a higher priority.

One that said, a nicely written and easy to understand code would
certainly help potential new contributors to get in without too much pain,
and also a clean code is easier to debug and improve by community.

Kilometric length lines are definetely something painful to maintain and
understand... but making them totally illegal is perhaps too strict...

Aside of the enforced coding rules part i'd welcome a "best practices"
part with pieces of advice and "soft rules" we encourage coders to
follow without making them compulsory.

Line length consideration could appear there ?

my 2 cents,
Maât