Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Ideas for phpgw / RFC

From: Benoit Hamet
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Ideas for phpgw / RFC
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:15:55 +0100

Hi Maat,

Maât a écrit :
> On 27/01/2010 14:18, Caeies wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm doing some fixes today, roughly checking for typos with an in house
>> script that count occurrences of a var in a function (that's really
>> really basic).
>>
> Hi Caeies,
>
> Cool :)
>
>> I have a proposition for third-party libraries that we are using
>> straight from upstream :
>>
>> We can add in phpgwapi/ a new directory call lib/thirdparty and modify
>> our CreateObject function accordingly. The purpose of this is :
>> 1) Easier maintenance of thirdparty software (licence issues, easy to
>> identify what to change into the project, and what to change upstream in
>> the thirdparty stuff, how to update it, etc ...)
>> 2) better recognition / integration of others contributions in our project.
>> 3) since we are now php 5, migrate the CreateObject function to use the
>> auto load mechanism and using new as is, for better compatibility with
>> thirdparty software.
>>

> Well isolate third party components is imho a really good idea
>
> But i have a problem with CreateObject : It breaks code analysis and
> object tracking tools :-(
>
> And that is very harmful when it comes to debugging and reverse
> engineering with graphic IDE such as EclipsePDT or Zend Studio or Komodo :-(
>
> I'd rather see it replaced by something relying on new and constructors
> with something like a "fully qualified phpgw objects names" system

Well, I agree with you, we should deprecate CreateObject in favor of
autoload + new. Or I'm not clear ? :).

>> Next. I'm looking for the opportunity to use an ORM in phpgw (propel,
>> doctrine, redbean, php-activerecord, ...) and doing here a RFC about it.
>>
> i've played with doctrine which is really good...
>
> i'd love to see something like this in phpgw !
>
>> Next. Can I strongly suggest everyone commiting the code in our source
>> tree to use English var names / db names / translation base / etc ...
>> That's really easier for us to understand the code and it's philosophy ...
>>
> agreed
>
>> Next. If you want to merge code from a branch or another, can I suggest
>> the use of svnmerge scripts ? This will help us for merging back things
>> instead of looking in the history for already done merges, etc ... I'm
>> open to suggestion regarding other tools to manage the merge stuff.
>>
>> Happy Hacking,
>>
>> Caeies
>>
> Eclipse PDT offers really cool merge/comparison features
That's not the point ... the point is keeping track of merges, so if
another dev want to do some of them, he is able to do it, without the
need to use the exact same tool, with your history :).

Regards,

Caeies.