Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Just some questions

From: Alex Borges (lex)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Just some questions
Date: 24 Feb 2003 10:04:35 -0600

i just couldnt hold myself.....the core devs and responsibles for
releases really should answer this but im impatient....

Okay....
El lun, 24 de 02 de 2003 a las 09:18, Andre Barende escribió:
> Hi all,
>

> I am currently testing different types of on PHP based groupware
> software and PHPGroupware is one of them. All the modules are working
> an it is what I am looking for. But a I still have several questions.

Shoot

> Two things I need to now I cant find on the web site so I thought I
> could try it here on the user list. (I hope you dont mind)

Good place to do it. But there is a www.phpgroupware.org site which is
still undergoing surgery after ...um... someone accidentally erased the
other one....hehe

> The first thing is that I need to know is how active the project is
> running. Just the things like how often there are new releases or bug
> fixes etc. The last release I saw was 0.9.14.001 in 2002-11-24
> (sourceforgenet). Is there a new one to be expected?

Well... the sf page isnt the place to look at activity, we are now
actively on savanah.gnu.org cvs's and web systems.

Yeah, its been a while since the latest release, but you can allways
update from the latest stable branch in cvs just by running cvs -z4
update -r Version-0_9_14-branch from your phpgw root...

Lots of changes since Nov.

> The second thing is what is the goal of the project group? Are there
> plans to add more modules or take over the M$ Outlook market;)

Everythingbutthekitchensink.... J.K. ... no, phpgroupware itself is
about providing an api that gives high level access to groupware-like
abstraction. Its a php api+software infrastructure (db tables+api
mostly) that helps you get stuff like groups, users into groups, group
leaders, access control lists for users, groups...etc....

As a groupware util, it wouldnt be worth it at all without basic PIM
components: email, calendar, addressbook, todo list, notes... we call
those the "core apps".
They have corresponding classes (oh yeah...its all object oriented) in
the api (we call the api phpgwapi) that enables other applications to
interact with them. The api also provides for inter-application
communication and stuff like that....which brings me to:

...well...its also a platform.... we have small-ERP like third party
software software (ck-ledger), we have inventories, time trackers,
integration with some hairy project manajers (DCL), and tenths of extra
applications , both third party or mantained by the phpgw team which is
growing. This, in turn, brings me to:

It used to be much slower.... somwhere down the road this project went a
little quiet, lost a few developers.... but right now, at least 5
enterprises are backing it with developers and inovative work that
mingles with the core team....we have this running in world class
enterprises, big schools, as a part of large ISP infrastructure.... its
a pretty nice thing now, market wise.

Also, i know of at least 1 deployment that was specifically targeted at
removing exchange from an 1000+ employee enterprise... so far it has
been a succesfull datacenter strategy and is pushing the client company
to migrate it all to linux (proxy-webserver-PDC.... they are an old
sybase/NT shop, but they are changing their db OS to Linux).

About the roadmap.... as i said, im not the one to make this speech
"official" (there is ppl responsible for this, this is my opinion as a
developer).... Well, we are in the process of defining long term goals
at the techie level.

But we already have a short term plan that includes a new major release
in the whereabouts of summer this year, as well as the last minor
release for phpgw 9.14.003 somewhere in spring.