Re: Continuing the storyline ...

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Continuing the storyline ...
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:38:13 +0200

Juergen Weigert <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps we should add a shortcut so that one could go directly near
> the end of tutorial island, that would make continuing the story
> faster, in case one's ~/.pingus directory got removed?

If one removes his savegames, bad luck. There will be and there are
already a few cheat codes to give unlimited actions, skip levels.
etc., but they might not get publicly announced.

> Will the story be a linear one, or will there be branches into
> multiple story lines?

Story line will be pretty much linear, there will be braches (inside a
island, not crossing islands) and secret islands, but I don't expect
them to influence the story all that much. After all the story should
be extremly simple, not much more then 'rescue the princess' with a
bit explanation where the pingus are and where they are heading.

> I would vote for the latter, as it eases game development. We could
> extend the game in parallel working in different corners of the
> world. I would suggest to allow the pingus to paddle away in
> different directions from tutorial island.

If people start to work in parallel on different islands, there is no
need to branch the story, simple pack both islands after each other
and release two islands with the next release.

Next island will most likly be this one here:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/volcano2.jpg

The one after that might be this:

 * http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/hellmouth.jpg

Some other islands are visible at: