Re: [no-member] Comments about the game

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: [no-member] Comments about the game
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:56:54 +0100

Am Di, den 09.12.2003 schrieb Robert Zaleski um 23:24:
> Anyways, the open menus in the leve editor was kinda atrocious.  The
> command line scared my wife, and not having bash scared me, hehe.  I
> don't know if there's another way of opening levels, say from the main
> menu, but I missed it.  I was mainly wondering, how many of you are

The only other way is to call pingus with a level file as parameter.
There are many levels in /playable, most of which deserve to be in a
directory named thus. ;-)
State of the level editor is: Ingo considers the interface to be well
enough, so it's only planned to fix the bugs so far. If you submit an
implementation for a better one, that position is likely to be
reconsidered. As a step in between you (or someone else) could submit a
(detailed) design proposal. If it's appealing enough, I or someone else
may implement it.

> doing devel, and do you have plans to do this or need help.  I'm
> always doing like 20 other things, but I really need to help some
> projects out sooner or later and I wouldn't mind doing this one.

Do you know an Open Source project that doesn't need help? If you want
to design levels - go ahead. Right now the development of Pingus is
running quite low (noone seems to have much time right now, that's why
it took so long until you got an answer) but I've got the mails of the
list archived and I'm sure to look into pending patches (hi Gervase) and
such when I get more spare time again.
If you look at the homepage (Development section) you can see a list of
planned worlds. The next one should be Volcano/Hellmouth so if you'd
design levels which fit into that theme and which are easy enough for
the second world of the game, chances to see them in the next official
release as part of the regular game are high. If you design anything
else that's working, it's quite sure to end up in the /playable section
of the next release and maybe become part of a world later (if it fits).

Bye David