Re: pingu windows noooooooooooooo!

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: pingu windows noooooooooooooo!
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:57:53 -0600

Jason Green wrote:
On 11/24/05, *Thomas Makel* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Hi, i am Thomas from the Netherlands, and i downloaded :
    Pingus 0.4.0 - Don't use!
    Windows - http://pingus.seul.org/files/pingus-0.4.0-binary-win32.zip
    <http://pingus.seul.org/files/pingus-0.4.0-binary-win32.zip> [5.9
    Mb]
    I didn't think it could do any harm so i tried it... and it fried my
    monitor
    (LG Flatron 795ft plus) which can handle pretty much anything. It
    happened

The old Windows binary didn't set a default Refresh Rate, and I don't know how the code actually decided on one. So, theoretically, if your monitor couldn't handle certain rates, it's possible it might have caused trouble. The new (development release) Windows version is here:

http://cmhousing.net/pingus/Pingus-Setup.exe

There are plenty of bugs left, but there shouldn't be any remaining hardware-crashing bugs to my knowledge. Sorry for the mishap!

For what it's worth, I don't think Pingus can possibly be to blame for a fried (modern) monitor, no matter what kind of rates it sent. All modern monitors have synch out-of-range protection. They go blank when an unsupported range is sent. It's just a coincidence that it happened to fail when starting Pingus caused a mode change. The next time the monitor power cycled or changed modes, it probably would have gone out just the same.