Re: [Pingus-Devel] Norwegian Nynorsk translation for Pingus

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Norwegian Nynorsk translation for Pingus
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 04:53:52 +0200

On 8/26/07, Karl Ove Hufthammer <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1.  BTW uses the old, deprecated language code 'no', and should be renamed
> to 'nb.po'.

Done.

> 2. The potfile was outdated. I've updated it (included in the patch), and the
> pofile is based on the updated potfile.

Ok, pingus.pot getting outdated however happens all the time, so this
is rather normal.

> 3. The 'extract-po.sh' script uses a 'tempfile' command. This doesn't exist on
> my system, at least, and the patch changes it to the more standard 'mktemp'.

Ok.

> 4. The patch also adds my name to the (three) credits files used.

Ok.

> 5. There are some things that are currently not translatable, but should be:
>
> a) Version and license info on the intro screen.

Since this a piece of text right from the GPL I am not so sure that
its a good idea to translate it.

> b) The big sign on the 'Tutorial Island' image

Known issue, not really sure if its worth to fix.

> c) The text on the *last* screen of the end of the game (where the Pingus
> drift into the sunset). The text does appear in the .pot and .po files, but
> the translation is never displayed.

Works here, maybe the msgid isn't the exact same, tried update-po.sh?

> d) The suffix showing which extra skill a Pingus has (e.g. [f] for Floater or
> [c] for Climber).

I plan to add a little helmet to the climbers, so the [f] could be
removed completly.

> e) The following strings from './pingus --help':
>    'Usage' line
>    Game description
>    'width' and 'height' in 'geometry' option
>    'FILE' in the '--font' and '--controller' option (for other options it
>    *is* translatable).
>    'LANG' in '--language' option
>    'OPTION' in '--debug' option
>    'SPEED' in '--speed' option
>    'INT' in '--tile-size' option

I am thinking about removing all the translation from console output
completly, it really gains very little and makes deciphering bug
reports with foreign language output very annoying.

> 6. Translations must be in ISO-8859-1, which is quite inconvenient. (KBabel
> saves in UTF-8, and I can't seem to find the option to change it, though I'm
> sure I have seen it before).

To convert it you can use 'recode UTF-8..ISO-8859-1', you might need
to declare it properly in the header of the .po to make it
automatically. Anyway, sooner or later their will be UTF8 support.

> 7. './pingus --help' doesn't convert the translation to the user's (or really
> terminal's) character encoding, which means that for most people on modern
> distros, ISO-8859-1 is displayed on a UTF-8 terminal, making all non-ASCII
> characters display incorrect.

Yep, a little hard/annoying to fix, which brings us back to the
'remove all translation from console output issue'.

> 8. To sum up, what you need to do is:

> a) Commit the attached patch (with any changes you want to make).

Done.

> b) Rename 'no.po' to 'nb.po'. Use 'svn move' for this, to keep the subversion
> history.

Done.

> c) Fixing the bugs and problems I've mentioned would be nice. :)

No ;)

> 9. I haven't translated the string 'Boarder', as I don't know what skill it
> is. It is not used in any of the tutorial levels.

Not sure if it will ever get used, doesn't really have well defined
action currently. Its simply a skateboarder

> 10. I can also update the old Norwegian Bokmål translation (unless the
> original author is still working on it).

Nobody working on that right now.

> 11. Is it possible to get SVN access, so that I can commit future translation
> updated directly?

For the moment, nope, when it gets one day to annoying to apply patches, maybe.