Re: [Pingus-Devel] pingus tunneling through blockers - engine bug?

From: Blink Blinken
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] pingus tunneling through blockers - engine bug?
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:29:08 +0000

On 4/4/09, Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2009/4/3 Blink Blinken <address@hidden>:
>> I'm playing svn revision 3985 of pingus.
>> Find attached a demo of
>> pingus/data/levels/playable/if_only_i_can_fly_-_wayne_shelley.pingus
>> where the pingus are sort of tunneling through a row of blockers.
>
> Yep, that definitively looks broken, not quite sure what is going on
> there. I am currently a little busy with another project.

Sure.  No need to hurry.

>> I've also made a diff that allows single-stepping the game in pause
>> mode with the S key.
>
> I don't like the use of global variables and the use of GlobalEvent,
> might be cleaner to route the whole thing through the input system and
> make it a proper game function. But then maybe I am wrong, as
> single-stepping is kind of more a debug hack then a proper game
> function, have to think about it some more.

Before I made that patch, I often had to press P twice quickly
(unpause, pause) to keep the pingus under control, and was
frustrated when I wasn't quick enough.  It might be considered
a cheat.  Depends on whether the game is designed to include
real-time excitement.  With single-stepping, it becomes more
like a round-based abstract puzzle, like Sokoban.