playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Re: Acceptance of Ogg at end-users with illegal downlo

From: Fyodor Vassiley
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Re: Acceptance of Ogg at end-users with illegal downloads
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:42:24 +0200

Hi folks

It seems to me that my recommendation is not welcome. I wish to add
that RMS want to legalize file sharing

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2007/03/13/let_free_music_files_ring/

I only got two private answers:

I can't help but feel that would draw the wrong kind of attention, but
you're not entirely wrong. Thing is, the Warez groups have pretty
stringent standards, and x264 and xvid meet those just fine. They
won't change for any of the philosophical reasons and why would they
possibly care about legal ones?

Considering the negative publicity that would result from an FSF
campaign dealing with "pirates", I doubt your proposal will see much
favor on the playogg list.

While your idea makes sense in terms of getting people to use/see ogg
stuff, I doubt people that scoff at copyright law will feel very bound
to help people respect patent law. Additionally, a better goal for free
software with regards to the warez scene might be getting rid of
preference towards the RAR format and replacing it with the 7z or LZMA
format.

If you know of a tracker that's sympathetic to the cause, getting one
tracker to adopt an OGG-preferred policy would maybe be enough to get
the story on Torrentfreak, which could then publicize the issue more.

Good luck with this, if you go through with it.