playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: Acceptance of Ogg at end-users with illegal do

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Re: Acceptance of Ogg at end-users with illegal downloads
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:48:16 -0400

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Fyodor
Vassiley<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> It seems to me that my recommendation is not welcome. I wish to add
> that RMS want to legalize file sharing
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2007/03/13/let_free_music_files_ring/

Your suggestion didn't make sense to me when I read it.  Why would
organizing with the "Warez" community around patent-free formats be
fruitful?  Parts of that community may be receptive to such ideas, but
their basis is to provide unauthorized copies of proprietary software.
 Clearly, they aren't swayed by the ethical issues of software
freedom, since they spend their resources distributing proprietary
software rather than promoting free software alternatives.

I predict these groups are also a bit too opportunistic to be
persuaded otherwise, since they only offer what people want rather
than trying to sway popularity in a new direction.  I don't spend my
time looking to download blockbuster films or cracked proprietary
software.

If I am incorrect in my assumptions about these "Warez" folks, I'd be
happy to be told otherwise.

Although Stallman is on the record for supporting noncommercial
sharing, I don't think by relation he advocates for the Warez groups.
/a

--
In general, we reserve the right to have a poor
memory--the computer, however, is supposed to