playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Does average porn paysite needs to pay licensing

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Does average porn paysite needs to pay licensing costs for proprietary codecs?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:16:24 -0400 (EDT)

MPEG LA charges licensing fees for people who distribute encoders.  And
they may start charging all sites that offer video using codecs covered by
their patent pool, in 2010.

I think I remember something about people who offer paid downloads getting
charged more.

Figure out what the top 5 are and ask what they're paying?

-Holmes

> Hi folks
>
> Is it true that porn paysites must pay license fees for proprietary
> codecs? Or they only need to buy software tools from Apple, Microsoft,
> DivX,..?
>
> If so, how large is this amount approximately?
>
> cheers
> Fyodor

Holmes Wilson
Free Software Foundation