playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Does average porn paysite needs to pay licensing c

From: Holmes Wilson
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Does average porn paysite needs to pay licensing costs for proprietary codecs?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 03:58:37 -0400

It's going to get more complicated than this.

Don't have a source handy at the moment, but I think it's pretty much certain that they'll be charging any video publisher over a certain size--beyond the cost they pay for the encoder--for distributing user-generated videos with advertising online using h.264.

And I think that for pay-per-download offers the rate is even higher.

Even free, over-the-air TV stations will have to pay a license fee based on their audience reach (in addition to what they pay for their encoder).

-Holmes