plex86-devel

Re: [Plex86-devel] Questions on CVS, etc...

From: Jas Sandys-Lumsdaine
Subject: Re: [Plex86-devel] Questions on CVS, etc...
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:00:04 +0100

>Is anybody working on a GUI to set up a configuration?  Seems that a nice
>GUI would be useful for both BOCHS and Plex86...

Bryce Denney of the Bochs project has recently added a graphical config
thingy. One could assume it could be used for plex86 as well.

>I was also wondering....  Apparently the BOOCHS project and Plex86 share a
>LOT of stuff...  How closely does the source relate to that project?  Are
>they separate development trees that have been somewhat merged or do these
>projects share a common root?

Seperate development trees but they do try to work together and share common
functionality like devices (VGA, keyboard, etc). Today, Bochs just merged in
plugins for devices that pinched code from the plex86 project originally
written by Kevin Lawton who is also currently working some magic on Bochs.
plex86 also shares the CPU instruction decode and emulation code to emulate
instructions from bochs. (This has to be converted from C++ to C from plex86
however). plex86 grew out of the bochs project a few years back. As for the
rest of the code, Drew will be able to answer!

Jas.