Re: [Protux-devel] Compile error

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Compile error
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:59:16 +0100

Luciano Giordana wrote:

I think we need to be more explicit about the make -f admin/Makefile.common.
These reports still happens... :-(

it's explained on the download page and in the README file. It's just that in the INSTALL file it says you just have to ./configure and make for the tarball release... after correcting the INSTALL file, the only thing that can be done more, is to add a pop-up windows on the download page telling them not to forget to run make -f admin/Makefile, lol

but the main problem is that people are used to do a ./configure, make, make install, so when they see that there is a configure script in the tarball, they automatically assume it's just the standard procedure, without reading the doc...

perhaps we could add an entry in the FAQ...

but i think we'll have to live with these questions untill the 0.17.x serie... where things should improve.

/Martin