Re: [Protux-devel] more on RTC

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] more on RTC
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:38:26 +0200 (CEST)

> I am not sure if a diskstream is a good idea, really. I implemented a ring
> buffer in MustuxAudioFileFormats::OggFile
> in order to get a constant bandwith when reading an ogg. It worked fine,
> as a diskstream would do, but
> it generates too much sync problems.

Oke, I'll try to forget the DiskStream class. The only reason why I am
suggesting it again is the performance of disk I/O.
I saw it while working on Peak.cc
All information was read and write in small blocks. Reading a peakfile was
also done in the same small blocks (sizeof(short))
Reading in a peakfile of ~10 MB was taking about ehm, 2 - 3  second's?! (=
~4 MB/s with continues hard disk acces)
I have a relatively new hard disk which is capable of reading at a speed
of at least 30 - 35 MB per second.
Reading the peakfile at one's, well just look at the output of protux --d1
Of you can read the message: loading peakfile - done, then you probably
have a real slow hard disk. :P
If you want to record with 16 armed tracks, 14 bit 96 kHz (oke, oke just a
worse case scenario) make's: 5.6 MB/s....

Oh well, just forget about it, I'm tired and just are typing nonsense. ;-)

Again, have a nice weekend