pspp-dev

Re: Logo prototype

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Logo prototype
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:15:33 +0800

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 02:44:50PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     Dr Eberhard W Lisse <address@hidden> writes:

     > Nobody in the world will mistake the PSPP logo for SPSS.  The whole idea
     > is that PSPP is a rewrite of SPSS, and so is the logo.

     But the blue-square part of the proposed PSPP logo looks just
     like the SPSS logo, except that it says PSPP instead of SPSS.
     This would be especially true in black and white.  A few small
     changes would help that considerably, and I don't see why we
     shouldn't make those changes.

I am not a lawyer, but so far as I'm aware, any claim of trademark
infringement (at least in most western countries) would need to
demonstrate that the logo could be mistaken for the SPSS logo.  I
don't think anyone would have a case here, so I agree with Eberhard.

However if in doubt, we can  get advice from address@hidden
That email goes to a  paralegal  who'll most likely be qualified to
give an opinion.  It'd be courtesy to do that anyway as we're using
the gnu logo and web address.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3