pspp-dev

Re: PSPP and character sets

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP and character sets
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:28:38 +0800

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:51:36AM +0100, Andreas Steichardt wrote:

     I will have to create japanese/korean spss files (for SPSS 11.5)
     in the near  future and now i wonder if that's supported by
     pspp. I grepped a bit in the source and didn't find anything
     which was really promising. So the big  question is: Does PSPP
     support such character sets?

Currently variable names can only be 8 bytes long.  Support for long
variable names is coming very shortly.  This will allow names of up
to 64 bytes long.  So far as I'm aware, there is no restriction on the
character set.  You can use ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 or whatever you like.

Having said that, I've never actually tried using anything other than
plain ascii.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3