pspp-dev

Re: Beta distribution

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Beta distribution
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:41:41 +0800

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:23:42PM -0500, Jason H. Stover wrote:

     First, 'cvs update' does not grab the files in
     lib/gsl-extras. I don't know if I'm doing something
     stupid, or if some information is missing in CVS.

I found this problem too.  The only way I could solve it was:

mkdir lib/gsl-extras
cd lib/gsl-extras
cp -a ../CVS CVS
echo '/gsl-extras' >> CVS/Repository
cvs update

IMHO cvs is an outdated, cumbersome and confusing tool, and the sooner
it goes away the better.

     It seems gsl is evaluating the relevant functions correctly.
     I suspect the problem is related to rounding and display of
     floating point values in PSPP. I'll familiarize myself
     with PSPP's tests and do some more checking.

     I did not check the values related to the F distribution yet.

There's certainly something a bit wierd going on.

I've got a change (soon to be checked in) which touches a lot of
files, but none of the randist stuff and none of the expression stuff,
but my change gives completely different values for the some of the
BETA and INV.F functions.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3