pspp-dev

Re: Off topic

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Off topic
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:27:32 -0800

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:18:29PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      You need to use `update -d' to pull new directories.
>
> Why isn't this the default behaviour?  Why would anyone not wish to
> pull new directories if there were any?

The CVS manual says this:

`-d'
     Create any directories that exist in the repository if they're
     missing from the working directory.  Normally, `update' acts only
     on directories and files that were already enrolled in your
     working directory.

     This is useful for updating directories that were created in the
     repository since the initial checkout; but it has an unfortunate
     side effect.  If you deliberately avoided certain directories in
     the repository when you created your working directory (either
     through use of a module name or by listing explicitly the files
     and directories you wanted on the command line), then updating
     with `-d' will create those directories, which may not be what you
     want.

I'm not sure this is a good reason.  Personally, I always type
`up -d', because I've been screwed by this enough times in the
past that I can't forget anymore.
--
"To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
 feature-poor toys."