pspp-dev

Re: Solaris 9: Progress and new issue for pspp 0.4.0rc3

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Solaris 9: Progress and new issue for pspp 0.4.0rc3
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:28:37 -0700

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 03:31:24PM -0400, DeBerry, Marshall wrote:
>
>      So, now configure runs ok and generates its files.  Now, when I do the
>      make I get the following:
>
>      casefile.c: In function `reader_open_file':
>      casefile.c:556: error: cast to union type from type not present in union
>      casefile.c:562: error: incompatible types in assignment
>      casefile.c:563: error: invalid operands to binary !=
>      make[3]: *** [casefile.o] Error 1
>
> Wierd.  Whoever said that a cast to a union has to be from a member type?

The C standard does not allow any casts to union type at all.
GCC has an extension that allows a cast from a union's member
type to the union type.

This implies that `off_t' is a union under Solaris.  That's
seriously misguided: SUSv3 requires that off_t be a signed
integer type.

> What compiler is this?

I'm pretty sure it has to be GCC.

> and can you see where it's finding the definition of off_t  and how
> it's defined?  Maybe it's a name clash from some unrelated header.

That's the real question.  Why is off_t a union and where is that
coming from?
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden