pspp-dev

RE: PSPP goals

From: Marshall DeBerry
Subject: RE: PSPP goals
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:06:41 -0400

Ben,
  I think what you've outlined is right on the mark.  I was very pleased to
see the areas you mentioned, particularly with regard to large data files.
I still do some work with what used to be considered very large files from
an ongoing nationwide household survey, but these days the data files might
be thought of as perhaps "small" in size.  The devil is in the details, of
course, but you've made a big start with the current versions of pspp.  I
think one of the hard areas will be the graphical interfaces, as there is
the Windows XP (now Vista) world, the Linux Gnome/KDE world, the Mac OS X
Aqua/Cocoa world, and then say the Solaris world with gtk/gnome.  From a
statistical procedure standpoint, it might be interesting if someone would
think about what's involved in implementing the Complex Samples routines--I
suggested such an addition to SPSS several years ago, and they picked up the
Wesvar package, then dropped it, and have recently implemented their own
version.

Having an open source project like pspp will be of huge benefit to the
statistical/data analysis communities, and the time is right for such a
project.

  I would be happy to help out or assist as best I can.

Marshall