pspp-dev

Re: fix distcheck

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: fix distcheck
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:53:25 -0800

> On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 09:37:45AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      "make distcheck" currently fails because doc/ni.texi is not
>      distributed, which forces the Info documentation to be remade.
>      But that's not supposed to happen: we shouldn't require it to be
>      remade if the user doesn't change it, and in fact the distcheck
>      target enforces that by making the source directory read-only.
>
> I think it's a bit of a silly requirement.  Imagine if the same policy
> existed for the binaries as well as the documentation.  Distributing
> something which whose corresponding source is also distributed is
> redundant.

I think the requirement to distribute Info file is a relic of an
earlier age, where Texinfo was less likely to be available on the
systems where GNU programs are installed.  But as long as it's
still a requirement, I'd prefer that we not force the Info
documentation to be rebuilt by every user, especially if it
breaks distcheck.

>      OK to check in?
>
> Have you verified that ni.texi will, in fact, get rebuilt if it's
> dependencies change?  If so, then go ahead and check it in.

Thanks for the reminder; I'll verify that before I check it in.
--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already