pspp-dev

Re: bug release tags

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: bug release tags
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:25:37 -0700

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:49:14PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      may be a pre-requisite for output viewing in the GUI.  I do think
>      that output in the GUI is important, so please let me know how I
>      can help out with it.  One way to do it that would be really easy
>      to implement on the output side of things would be to just set up
>      ASCII output to go to a file; then the GUI could just include a
>      text-file-viewer window.
>
> How easy would it be to make ascii output go to a pipe instead of a
> file?

Easy: call pipe, then fdopen.

But I suspect that you're planning to make the output go to a
pipe which is then read by the same process?  That is likely to
deadlock: the output module can fill up the pipe buffer and
block.  Blocking goes on forever, because the GUI will never get
a chance to read from it as it's in the same process.

Or maybe you're planning to run a separate text viewer process,
in which case a pipe would work fine.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org