pspp-dev

Re: libpspp + Perl module somewhere down the road?

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: libpspp + Perl module somewhere down the road?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:05:10 -0700

Jörg Beyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 23.10.2007 17:41 Uhr schrieb Ben Pfaff (<address@hidden>):
>> Jörg Beyer <address@hidden> writes:
> Sorry, I was unclear here. What I found was the directory
>   /usr/local/lib/pspp    _as part of the installation_, and it is empty.

I am surprised that we install an empty lib directory.  At first
glance, my guess is that this happens because the GUI installs a
shared library into that directory, but you didn't (I surmise)
compile the GUI.

>> I hope you noticed the extensive documentation on the PSPP data
>> file format that is included in the PSPP manual.  This could help
>> with the implementation of your own parser, if you decide on that
>> alternative.
>
> Yes, I was very pleased when I found both the description of the binary and
> the portable format. It was in fact this part of your documentation that led
> to my own parsing plans. Thanks for both, I guess it was quite hard work to
> figure the formats out, wasn't it?

I managed to find basic documentation on each format on the web,
and then I filled in the details, but yes there were some tricky
bits.
--
"I knew it was a bad sign when I drove through Hell (MI) on Wednesday
and there was snow on the ground and all the standing water had a