pspp-dev

Re: Debian GUI Issues [was Re: Debian test errors]

From: bojo42
Subject: Re: Debian GUI Issues [was Re: Debian test errors]
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:58:47 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 28.02.2012, 16:28 +0000 schrieb John Darrington:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 05:05:53PM +0100, bojo42 wrote:
>
>      Am Dienstag, den 28.02.2012, 14:54 +0000 schrieb John Darrington:
>
>      >     The other issue in Debian is related to the icon installation as
> PSPP
>      >     installs /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache and there are
> some
>      >     other packages which also ship that file. Probably no package
> should
>      >     really ship it at all, as this is a very general location.
>      >
>      > Yes.  It should not be shipped if it already exists.  Instead it
> should be
>      > updated in the post-inst stage
>
>      I am taking a look into that, cause there should already be a common
>      method to do so in Debian. But isn't there a way that benifits other
>      distro in generell and am i right that you just use it to speed up the
>      UI menu?
>
> As a recall, this file was necessary to actually associate the icons with
> their
> respective stock items - they didn't actually appear otherwise.  However, it's
> a long time since I wrote that stuff so I could be mistaken.

I just tested it and on installation of the package the icon cache gets
recreated. There is nothing in the postinst maintainer script inserted
by dh_icons, so at least since Ubuntu 10.04 it is standard that the
hicolor icon cache gets automatically recreated once a packages ships
hicolor icons (which we do anyway for the desktop icons).

>From now on i therefore delete /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
in the packaging if it is present, to prevent errors with other
packages.

About what you mentioned regarding stock itmes the ones
under /usr/share/icons/16x16/pspp don't have stock icons from GNOME, GTK
+ don't they?

>      >     Would be also
>      >     great if we can stop installing the 16x16 icons
>      >     under /usr/share/icons/16x16/pspp as this is quite a uncommon
> place for
>      >     package specific icons. Do you think you can fix that in Git?
>      >
>      > Where would be a common place to put them?
>
>      /usr/share/pspp/icons
>
>      or
>
>      /usr/share/pspp/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions (or status, ...)
>
>      Like above: they're just used inside the UI, right?
>
> OK.  I'll look into a possible new location.

Would be great :)