pspp-dev

Re: patch

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: patch
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 12:18:57 +0100

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 11:34:47PM +0100, Harry Thijssen wrote:
     Hi

     The patch works now.  But I am still confused about the results.

     SAVE
             /OUTFILE="??ber.sav"

     works and I can open the file again with a get. However if I look with the
     Windows explorer I see the file with the name ??:L:??ber.sav.

Was this using pspp.exe or psppire.exe ?

Psppire

 And how did you actually generate
that syntax?  Using the Sava dialog,, tying into a syntax window or what?

By typing in the syntax file and using wordpad externally and then opening the syntax file.  The result is the same.

If a file is saved as test.sav and I open it by clicking on it, the file is correct opened and the dataset is loaded.
If I rename the file to testü.sav (=test + u + umlaut .sav) and open it by clicking on it, psppire opens but the file is not loaded, no output window is generated.

Even if it doesn't work perfectly, would you say it is an improvement on before
or has it broken something?

I didn't find anything which is broken. As long as you save and get files from a syntax file with pspp it works. If you try to open a file by clicking from the explorer that won't work.

Technically it is an improvement and people will at least like it because their work is daved, but I guess a lot of users will be very much confused by this behaviour as they won't see there saved files.

In general it is still the case that people using mswindows can't use pspp for non-ascii filenames.

Have fun