pspp-dev

Re: gtk3: Replaced PsppSheetView with GtkTreeView for the variables wind

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: gtk3: Replaced PsppSheetView with GtkTreeView for the variables window
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 13:49:57 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 09:12:21AM +0100, Friedrich Beckmann wrote:
     Am 13.12.2015 um 20:41 schrieb John Darrington <address@hidden>:
     > Somebody pointed me to https://github.com/baedert/listbox-c
     >
     > This seems to rather evectively impement a widget which displays a list
of
     > rows in O(1) time and space.    And it is nicely uncomplicated at the
moment.
     > It lazily creates the rows, and displays them only as needed.
     >
     > It doesn't do multiple columns, but perhaps could be extended to do so.

     Hi John,

     good idea to talk with the gtk folks. I guess the listbox-c shows the
direct data retrieval
     in a a nice way. But it would not only require to add columns but also all
this editing
     and selecting based on mouse and keys. Maybe some clean extension of
listbox-c is nicer
     than building something around treeview.

You are right.  Looking at that demo code however,
it might be a simple matter of changing that GtkButton for a GtkEntry or
similar widget.
I think the harder problem is the 2D issue.  I might be wrong of course.

     Do the gtk guys see the problem of gtktreeview with large datasets and do
they have a plan?
     Is there a chance that something like the extended listbox-c-lazy-gtksheet
would ever make it
     into gtk?

Your guess is as good as mine!  At any rate, it is more likely to get into
Gtk if we give them some positive feedback, and maybe a patch or two.

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3