pspp-users

Re: easy installation for windows

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: easy installation for windows
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:01:16 -0800

Gene Shackman <address@hidden> writes:

> I was looking at pspp and it looks very nice.  The only issue I
> had is the installation. I found these
>
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/pspp/INSTALL?revision=1.16&root=pspp&view=
> markup&pathrev=MAIN
> http://jstover.motd.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse.cgi/MS-Windows_using_Cygwin
>
> which seem to make it rather difficult to install, as you need
> to install a bunch of other things first.

There are now two different easy ways to install on Windows,
pointed to from here:
        http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html

> Also, one other person I asked about it wrote "Some of the
> instructions contained very casual comments like "installing
> this component will probably disable some of your currently
> running programs"."

We are always happy to take bug reports, but there is no way to
investigate or fix problems that are described so vaguely.

> Is there a possibility that pspp may someday be developed to
> install very easily on PCs with windows?  Without needing to
> install any other software?

I think that we are doing OK at the moment--we have a couple of
very helpful folks on our mailing lists who build PSPP on
Windows, and report resulting bugs, on a regular basis--but in
the long run the viability of PSPP on Windows will depend on
finding some developers who work on PSPP under Windows on a
regular basis.  None of the current development team uses Windows
all that much.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org