pspp-users

Re: easy installation for windows

From: Gene Shackman
Subject: Re: easy installation for windows
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 04:38:10 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the response.  I wanted to further ask, this page

http://pspp.awardspace.com/

says "When you install the first time, you only need the latest full version."

Does this mean that you do not need to install any other software?  This can be installed into windows without any other software needed?

Thanks very much for developing this package.

Gene

--- On Mon, 11/10/08, Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was looking at pspp and it looks very nice.  The only issue I
> had is the installation. I found these
>
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/pspp/INSTALL?revision=1.16&root=pspp&view=
> markup&pathrev=MAIN
> http://jstover.motd.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse.cgi/MS-Windows_using_Cygwin
>
> which seem to make it rather difficult to install, as you need
> to install a bunch of other things first.

There are now two different easy ways to install on Windows,
pointed to from here:
        http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html

> Also, one other person I asked about it wrote "Some of the
> instructions contained very casual comments like "installing
> this component will probably disable some of your currently
> running programs"."

We are always happy to take bug reports, but there is no way to
investigate or fix problems that are described so vaguely.

> Is there a possibility that pspp may someday be developed to
> install very easily on PCs with windows?  Without needing to
> install any other software?

I think that we are doing OK at the moment--we have a couple of
very helpful folks on our mailing lists who build PSPP on
Windows, and report resulting bugs, on a regular basis--but in
the long run the viability of PSPP on Windows will depend on
finding some developers who work on PSPP under Windows on a
regular basis.  None of the current development team uses Windows
all that much.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org