pspp-users

Re: "ERROR I/O" on a large database on version 0.7.9 Win7 binary

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: "ERROR I/O" on a large database on version 0.7.9 Win7 binary
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 08:34:49 +0000

I had a look at those files.  I think perhaps there are several issues:

Firstly, the .SPS file uses DATA LIST FIXED, but the file you are
trying to import does not have fixed data widths.  Importing a .csv file
like this is better done using GET DATA /TYPE=TXT

Secondly, although you specifid a numeric type for the first variable,
not all the data have numeric values in this field.  Line 22 for example
starts with V3001  You either need to change HOSPID to a string variable,
or change all the values to numeric ones.

Once I did these things your data imported fine.

The fact that you say there is a problem at arung 51000 lines however suggests
there may be another issue.  We occasionally get such reports from windows
users, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for other systems.

J'