pspp-users

Re: "ERROR I/O" on a large database on version 0.7.9 Win7 binary

From: Gong, Henry
Subject: Re: "ERROR I/O" on a large database on version 0.7.9 Win7 binary
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 10:35:04 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for looking at the files. Here is the syntax I've been using:

>GET DATA
> /TYPE=TXT
> /FILE="C:\path\to\file\file.csv"
> /ARRANGEMENT=DELIMITED
> /IMPORTCASE=ALL
> /DELIMITERS=";"
> /VARIABLES=
>    VAR001 F4.0
and so on, until
>    VAR159 F2.0.

That is, I'm not using the .SPS file directly, just looking at it for information. Note that the example data is not formatted exactly the same way as the actual database; only the first ten variables have any possible bearing on the issue, the rest is just filler since I couldn't get the problem to show up unless I bulked up the file (which is, possibly, some kind of hint as to the source of the problem).

I'm not currently at the computer with the data, but I think the major issue is the problem at a certain dataset size, since the data shows up just fine up to a certain point (of course, I do get the errors saying that a variable should be set to string, though I don't see why a certain number of those errors would be the cause of any import issues).

I did a little further testing with the command line: when I try to use LIST I can specify, say, a thousand cases and they get output just fine. However, LIST for all cases results in the aforementioned error. It might be more accurate to say that the error is not in GET DATA; rather, the error is in LIST (and perhaps other functions that use the whole dataset).

Here is my LIST syntax:
>LIST
> /CASES=FROM 1 TO 1000
> /FORMAT=NUMBERED SINGLE.