pspp-users

Re: Re: Data Manipulation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Re: Data Manipulation
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:01:47 +0000

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 07:50:09PM +0400, Michele Mor wrote:
     Hi John,

     I did not explained myself properly.
     I am referring to the SPSS equivalent of the JOIN command that it is used
for SQL.
     At my company we use SPSS to join different data sources using a common
key field.
     You can join 2 data files using one of them as a lookup table, or join
records from both data files.
     Hope that this clarifies what I have meant.

I see.

The "Join" command is not an SPSS command per se.  It is an SQL statement which
SPSS passes to the connected
database engine, which is then processed by the database's SQL interpreter.
PSPP does the same. However,
at the moment it can only connect to databases via PSQL.  ODBC is not yet
supported.  See the section in the
manual: GET DATA /TYPE=PSQL

      > Adding cases can be done, for example, using the ADD FILES command, or
INPUT PROGRAM commands.
     Not aware of this.
     Any chance that you'll add a nice GUI menu for it? :-)

It's on the list of things to be done.
See http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?29869
Feel free to add a comment there.  It might help raise its priority somewhat.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.