pspp-users

Re: Set icons for PSPP mime-types (GNOME)

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Set icons for PSPP mime-types (GNOME)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:20:01 +0200

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 05:08:14PM -0400, Hugo Alejandro wrote:
     Hi, I wanted to know if I can set icons for files used by PSPP (*.sav,
     *.sps and *.por) in fedora 18/19, under the GNOME environment.

     PSPP version (psppire 0.7.9)

I don't use fedora, but on my Gnome system (Debian) this "just works".
The necessary information is actually maintained external to PSPP, by the
freedesktop.org project.  In Debian, the relevant package is called
"shared-mime-info".  I see that Fedora has a similarly named package, so
presumably if you install that, then it should work too.  If it doesn't
then I suggest you ask for help on the appropriate Fedora forum.

     The reason is that I use PSPP to teach data analysis in the social
     sciences (basic aspects) in a secondary school. This project took a
     long time and it is interesting as students learn early to use these
     types of tools (not all excel).

It's great to know that PSPP is being used by students.

     My experience tells me that young people are very visual, and they had
     become accustomed to the way "Windows" manages files (files that do
     not show a particular icon extension associate).

... and in my opinion, it is the role of the education system to re-accustom
pupils to a more mature way of thinking, but that is perhaps a rant which
belongs on a different mailing list ...

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3