pspp-users

Re: Set icons for PSPP mime-types (GNOME)

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Set icons for PSPP mime-types (GNOME)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:57:15 +0200

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 05:08:14PM -0400, Hugo Alejandro wrote:
     Hi, I wanted to know if I can set icons for files used by PSPP (*.sav,
     *.sps and *.por) in fedora 18/19, under the GNOME environment.

     PSPP version (psppire 0.7.9)

     The reason is that I use PSPP to teach data analysis in the social
     sciences (basic aspects) in a secondary school. This project took a
     long time and it is interesting as students learn early to use these
     types of tools (not all excel).
     However, this year for licensing issues, most of the computers run Linux.
     My experience tells me that young people are very visual, and they had
     become accustomed to the way "Windows" manages files (files that do
     not show a particular icon extension associate).

     PSPP on Windows displays a particular icon for each file type (which
     does not happen in Linux). I have those files in PNG format.

OK, Now I have my facts straight ...

Here is how I associate an icon with pspp mimetypes:

1.  Create a directory /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/mimetypes

2.  Copy your png file into this directory and name it
application-x-spss-sav.png

3.  Run update-icon-caches /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor

That should be it!

To do it PROPERLY however, you need to create a whole set of icons of different
sizes:
16x16 24x24 32x32 48x48 64x64 and copy them into the respective directories as
in
step 2.  If you don't, it will still work, but the results will be less than
ideal
depending on the screen resolution and the application.

To do it *really* properly :

You need to create several such icon sets, for each "theme":

hicolor
HighContrast
HighContrastInverse
HighContrastLargePrint
HighContrastLargePrintInverse
locolor
LowContrast

This  will mean that an appropriate icon for each theme is available  (for
example visually impaired people, who need the HighContrast theme to be able to
read the desktop).

If there is a talented graphic designer who wants to create a decent set of
icons,
we would be happy to include them in pspp, or try to persuade the gnome project
distribute them.  However, doing it right needs a bit of skill, read
https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/stable/icons-design.html.en

Hope this all helps.

J'

--