pspp-users

Re: getting the confidence interval

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: getting the confidence interval
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:13:23 -0500

I think John is saying that in SPSS/PSPP you need to use a statistical function to generate statistical results like a CI. For example, T-TEST will produce a 95% CI for the mean difference in independent-samples t-tests. Other routines may provide other confidence intervals.

But maybe you want to use compute to create a variable for each case:

compute LB = x - 1.96 * 10.1/sqrt(31).
compute UB = x + 1.96 * 10.1/sqrt(31).

This creates variables LB and UB for all cases in your data file and you need to supply Z, mean, SD, and n.

Connecting that to your query about AGGREGATE, which takes groups of cases (defined by unique values on BREAK) and creates summary stats, you could use AGGREGATE to create mean, SD and n in the above equation and then use those compute statements to calculate the bounds of the CI for the groups of cases. So, you would have to do two steps. First an AGGREGATE command that creates mean, SD and n, followed by the two computes above.

You would end up with a dataset containing the mean, sd, n, LB, and UB for each group (defined by a unique value of BREAK) in the original dataset.

Hopefully you only have one variable (or a very few) in the data that you want this on, because you have to create mean, SD and n for each variable.

-Alan