pupa-devel

Re: PUPA bugfixes

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: PUPA bugfixes
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:35:45 +0100

On Saturday 01 November 2003 17:41, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Okuji, you told me it is better to check if a disk was swapped and if
> not the disk cache should be flushed.  I have implemented that, but I
> don't really like this solution.  Some BIOSes have bugs that prevent
> this check from working and often it is impossible to check if the
> BIOS has such bug.  I also dislike that the check takes some time.

What bug do you mean? Do you have a pointer to such information?
Also, how much time does it take? 1ms, 100ms, 1s, or more?

> Now I have implemented this timeout globally, if there is a timeout
> the entire cache is flushed for _all_ drives.  Is that ok for you or
> should I implement it so it works per disk?

I'm not sure. I need more time to consider this issue.

In my experience, disk caching is important only for floppies. Hard disks are
not so important, because they have internal caching and they are quite fast.
I don't know how fast CDROM emulation mode is.

Normally, the user would normally use a single disk to boot up his/her
machine. I guess the number of disks concerning with boot stages would be at
most 3. So it might not be meaningful to manage disk caches in per disk
basis.

What do you think?

> And what do you think about adding "pupa-emu"?  I already sent in a
> patch, but I didn't get feedback about it yet.  Do you want it?  If
> you want it, what should I change before the patch can be committed?

Feel free to commit it. I have no objection.

BTW, your patch does not contain some files, such as times.h. It would be
better if you use the option -N to diff.

Okuji