pupa-devel

Re: Readline patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Readline patch
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:36:13 +0100

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 22:15, Marco Gerards wrote:
> It was not that hard to do afterwards.  I have hacked aclocal.m4 and
> configure.ac a bit and it seems to work. :)

Very good. :)

> +dnl Check if the C compiler has a bug while using local function
> when +dnl mregparm is used on the i386.  Some gcc versions do not
> pass the third +dnl parameter correctly to the local function.
> +dnl Written by Marco Gerards.
> +AC_DEFUN(pupa_i386_CHECK_LOCAL_FUNCTIONS,

Please use "nested function" rather than "local function". That name is
consistent with the GCC manual, and I'm afraid that people will think
about "static function" when hearing "local function".

And, use upper characters for any macro name, except for the prefix
"pupa_". So it should be called "pupa_I386_CHECK_NESTED_FUNCTIONS".

But maybe is it better to rename the macro to
"pupa_I386_CHECK_REGPARM_BUG"? This sounds intuitive to me.

> +AC_MSG_CHECKING([if the compiler has a bug when using mregparam=3 on
> the i386])

This message is a bit tedious. How about this:

AC_MSG_CHECKING([if GCC has the regparm=3 bug])

Is this too brief?

Okuji