pupa-devel

Re: Normal mode patch

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Normal mode patch
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:57:29 +0100

On Sunday 28 December 2003 21:36, Marco Gerards wrote:
> This patch adds a lot of features to PUPA, especially to normal mode.
> For details you will have to look at the changelog entry, but here is
> a small and incomplete summary of features and changes:
>
> - The new argument parser for normal mode.
> - The new commands ls, boot, cmp and cat.
> - Environment variable support.
> - Improved splitting of a command line into arguments.  It deals with
>   inserting variables (using $foo or ${foo}), escaping and quoting.
> - pupa_vsprintf can better format variable output and can print
> doubles. - All warnings were fixed.
> - Fixed some minor bugs involving error detection.

Great... I will look at your source code seriously as soon as possible.

> I've also added the set and unset commands although you didn't
> answered my questions about this yet.  Just have a look what is
> changed and if you like it or not.

Ok. If I don't like your way, I might change it myself. That's okay for
now.

> I haven't implemented the wildcard support yet, I think it's better
> to wait with this until we know what the scripting language will look
> like.

Ok.

> I will have a look at the portability of PUPA tomorrow and how
> difficult it will be to port it to the apple.  Is there anything
> really crucial missing on the pc version of PUPA that I should work
> on first?

Yes, there are many. :)

* The graphics console is quite buggy. It is necessary to fix bugs.
* Decompression support is missing.
* A user-friendly installer is missing.
* I18N is incomplete. Gettext is missing, for example.
* So few filesystems are supported.
* No serial console.
* No network support.
* No diskless support.
* No *BSD support.
* No Windows-specific support (such as disk mapping).

There are more definitely. But please work on your own priority. Don't
care too much about what others wish. It is very important for you to
enjoy with what you implement.

Okuji