qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix results

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix results
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:22:47 +0100

Renzo Davoli wrote:
After a couple of tries, I got the disk image ready and partitioned. Whenever cfdisk hung QEMU, I had to kill the emulator and restart the process. I found that the changes that were successfully written to the disk image were good, so I was able to make forward progress.

I have installed a complete debian.

I have had the very same problem: sometimes qemu freezes.
There is no apparent cause-effect relationship, qemu freezed at random stages of the installation process any time the procedure was restarted.
I succeeded in installing the debian but after several attempts.

It seems to be a timing fault on the simulated ide.
When it freezes, it stops into a low level infinite loop: neither
clicking on the window to grab the mouse nor ctrl-c on the calling
terminal produce effects.

It seems there is a problem in TB invalidation during asynchronous interrupts (I have already seen random infinite loops in tb_reset_jump_recursive()). I have no idea of the exact cause of the problem.

Fabrice.