qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix results

From: Kyle Hayes
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Knoppix results
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:33:24 -0800

On Thursday 29 January 2004 09:38, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> Kyle Hayes <address@hidden> wrote:
> : Would I run QEMU from the command line via GDB?
> :
> :     $ gdb qemu -hda hda.img -cdrom knoppix.iso -boot d -m 128
> :
> : Oh, right, I can't pass it args...  Ugh.
>
> If you have a recent version of GDB (I'm not sure GDB 5.3, which is
> ancient, support this) you can use the --args argument.

Odd, Gentoo uses 5.3.  If I go to the unstable pool of packages, I can get
6.0. Normally Gentoo is quite up to date.  Is there a stability problem with
newer GDB versions?

>  $ gdb --args qemu -hda ....

Cool.

> : I find GDB to be one of the more difficult tools to use unless you use
> : it every hour of every day.  I do almost exclusively Perl coding and have
> : for years now.
>
> Sure, it's a rather complex tool.  But as soon as you get familiar with it,
> you can not live without it.

It doesn't help at all for Perl programming compared to the Perl debugger :-)
Since I don't do much C code anymore, the utility of GDB is fairly low for
me.

> : That's odd.  Any clues
> : why that would happen?  What does the shared library handler warning
> : mean?
>
> No idea.  I suggest you update GDB (to version 6 at least) and give that
> a try.

Yeah, I'll try that.  Now off to find the syntax for updating a package from
the unstable section...

Best,
Kyle