qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu simple user mode testing (arm, ppc, sparc)

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu simple user mode testing (arm, ppc, sparc)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:29:57 +0100

Interesting ! I thought that SPARC was the less stable target (I left some register window exception problems in it)... I think the problems on ARM are related to FPU emulation as it is not implemented yet (but I have a pending patch to merge).

ARM and x86 use direct translated block chaining while it is not implemented yet on SPARC and PowerPC, so it explains the performances you get.

Can you send me (or make available somewhere) at least the static executables ? If you send the dynamic ones, try to add all the relevant dynamic libraries.

Fabrice.

Karel Gardas wrote:
Hello,

I have performed simple testing of qemu-0.5.2 (vide also my last email
about ARM emulation issues). I have used these tests:

1) C++ hello world example using iostreams
2) C++ hello world example using C stdio
3) C hello world example using C stdio
4) bogomips test

Tests 1-3 were tested in two versions, one linked dynamically and one
staticaly.

The results are (grouped by qemu-<processor>)

qemu-arm:

1) stat: failed
   dyn: failed
2) stat: run
   dyn: failed
3) stat: run
   dyn: failed
4) run (160 BogoMIPS -- very good!)

qemu-ppc:

1) stat: failed
   dyn: failed (qemu segfaults)
2) stats: run
   dyn: failed (qemu segfaults)
3) stat: run
   dyn: run
4) run (40 BogoMIPS)

qemu-sparc:

1) stat: run
   dyn: run
2) stat: run
   dyn: run
3) stat: run
   dyn: run
4) run (38 BogoMIPS)

Where it is not mentioned, binary failed with segfault, where is mentioned
``qemu segfaults'', QEMU segfaults directly.

My question is: is there anybody improving QEMU ARM support? Anyway, at
least sparc results looks very good, so I will probably try to test
qemu-sparc with some not so simple C++ application. Also is there anybody
here working on MIPS (mips32) support?

Thanks,

Karel
--