qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] MS Windows 2000 installation report

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: [Qemu-devel] MS Windows 2000 installation report
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:01:18 +0200

Dear all,

Using the latest Qemu version from today's CVS (14 April 2004),
I was able to install Win2k. Here is a short user report:

Installation
1) First stage is OK (NTFS disc formatting, copy to disc)

2) Second stage needs a fair amount of memory (256 Mb in my case, Qemu crashed
several times using 128 Mb). The installation ends up without noticable
problem. It can take one hour and a half (which is 20 times faster than
Bochs).

Startup
3) At reboot, Win2k displays a black screen. There seems to be a VGA problem.

4) Win2k can only boot in rescue mode (press F8 key during startup).

5) The network driver is not well recognized. Windows sees a "ne2000" network
card without being able to configure it. I tried manually to IRQ 9, without
success.

6) The mouse is still incredibly slow. Win2k sees a "Logitec PS/2" mouse. This
renders Windows unusable.

VBE driver
7) I tried the VBE driver from http://dhenriq.en.eresmas.com/ without success
(there was still no diplay).