qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Impractical ideas?

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Impractical ideas?
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 15:11:30 -0700

Of course, there is already something in real life that can get you most
of this if you can afford to rent one: a logic analyzer with built-in
disassembler.

To buy one is *a lot* unless you get an old one like I have which is
only useful mainly for instrumenting older systems.

I guess we're getting really sci-fi now, but maybe you should just make
it pass-through everything to underlying OS, and the front end would be
a virtual logic analyzer.

Of course thinking about the cool timing diagrams a logic analyzer gives
you, I think I'm realizing what the real problem is here: timing.
Virtual drivers incorporate knowledge of timing of the real devices in
their operation.  Without that buffer between you and the bare metal, I
think the live guest driver just ain't gonna work. Counterarguments?

-- John.