qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] ARM emulation

From: Yelich, Scott D.
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] ARM emulation
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:01:35 -0400

I'm not sure I understand your setup -- if your binaries are ARM -- how
do you get them to run on your laptop (is your laptop ARM?)

I have x86 binaries on linux (redhat 9, under vmware) ... set up to generate
ARM binaries for zaurus -- but I can't run the ARM.  ie: when I try to compile
angband/zangband -- they make "tolua" in ARM -- and then try to *run* that
program to generate some more files used int he compilation.  Nasty.  A
native compile would solve that, etc.

I also have arm binaries on my linux box that I mount to my zaurus (nice toh
 ave 120+GB available for the zaurus) -- so the space isn't a problem -- even
if the CPU is.  The zaurus also have gentoo for zaurus which appearently does
a configure on the zaurus and then compiles remotely via dist-cc -- but I've
never tried this to see how well it works (ie: for things like angband
and the tolua issue that come sup under straight cross compiling).

What I am looking for is qemu that runs in zaurus (arm/xscale, etc)...
I would love to be able to run win95-ish type programs... like blitzen.

it sounds like you're asking if you can run a type of "virtual" debian --
based on ARM code -- via qemu.  That would mean that qemu supports
emulation of the arm instruction set, etc.  If you take a look at
www.pocketworkstation.com -- you'll see that this is a full debian ARM
setup that is accessed via a chroot vnc server -- but the base OS is
still an ARM booted kernel, etc.

Personally, I think to work in your situation, you'd probably want to run
an x86 chroot -- on the qemu command ... to run something in the debian
arm tree such as a shell (or vnc, such as with pocketworkstation).  But
I've never seen qemu work at all (not that I've tried much) -- since I
never really seemed to get an answer that I understood regarding how well
it worked running under ARM (not to emulate arm, but running an arm
binary to run windows stuff, such as wine, etc).  I'm not sure how
much of the system qemu would be able to handle in terms of your full debian
system (ie: devices, etc).  I mean, if qemu will emulate arm, then I
suppose it would help me with mt arm "tolua" in the angband compile --
altough it was just as easy to make an x86 version -- it seems like that
would be a use.  For a full system -- I don't think it wuld work all that
well.

... but I am not an authority -- this is just me guess/feeling.

Scott