qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [patch] loadvm from command-line

From: David E . Still
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [patch] loadvm from command-line
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:52:26 -0700

Apparently I've got far too much time on my hands today. :) Attached is a patch to add command-line support for loadvm. Usage is:

$ qemu -loadvm file.vm disk.img

Which is equivalent to:

$qemu -S disk.img

followed by these console commands:

(qemu) loadvm file.vm
(qemu) c

The advantage to this solution is to allow for a "quickstart" of the guest os to a specific saved state. There was talk a while back of using something like this to have an instant-on knoppix installation.

Please note, that this is very much a hack that I was able to put together only because Fabrice's original vm load/save code is so well contained. Literally, all I did was add the code to call the subroutine on startup. I'm not a c programmer, so please feel free to do whatever code cleanup is necessary and place it under whatever license is needed to be included in QEMU.

- Dave

David E. Still
Writer/Producer
TripleCat Productions