qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: amd64 problem with Scripts to set up a virtual QEMU net

From: jmf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: amd64 problem with Scripts to set up a virtual QEMU network
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

>> jmf wrote:

>> The 32 bit chroot environment does not allow the creation of the bridge

>> device, and the 64 bit host environment does not have access to the 32 bit

>> qemu executable.

> carlos wrote:

> Hi! I've never used qenv under a chrooted environment. Could you tell me

> how you are setting it up, so that I may mimick it?

> Another solution coul be to create the bridge device before doing

> the chroot. If you help me with setting up a chrooted environment, I'll

> happily tweak qenv to do it for you

I'm using AMD64 Gentoo as the host so to make a chroot environment, I followed
the Gentoo instructions here:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/technotes.xml?part=2&chap=4#doc_chap3

One problem is the /dev/net/tun device between the host and chroot. The
qenv-guest script is complaining about no tun%d  device. The errors I'm getting
are

Connected to host network interface: tun%d

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

tun%d: unknown interface: No such device

tun%d: unknown interface: No such device

interface tun%d does not exist!

tunconfig: could not launch network script

presently I can't seem to create the tun1, tun2, etc... devices

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com