qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] enabling bus-master IDE driver

From: Simon Frew
Subject: [Qemu-devel] enabling bus-master IDE driver
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:35:15 +0000

Hi, I'm new, just started using qemu; my configuration is:
host: smp linux 2.4.27 kernel (knoppix 3.6)
guest: win2k + sp2
hardware: amd athlon 1.8 1GB ram

Running qemu with 512mb ram.  Seems to work fine, but guest o/s installation
was very slow.  So after reading through previous posts on here I found the
patch posted previously to enable dma for ide, and have applied that to ide.c and rebuilt qemu. Then in windows go to device manager and see what it thinks
is installed.  Device manager says I have a Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE
controller.  So I right-click on "Primary IDE channel" and look in
properties->advanced settings.  Transfer Mode is set to "DMA if available"
and current transfer mode says "PIO mode". So it still seems to be in PIO mode!

Does that mean that the patch doesn't work?  Do I have to do something else
to make dma work?

The patch I've used is here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-09/msg00099.html

qemu version is 0.6.0 downloaded yesterday.

I installed qemu as a non-root user and am not running as root.
I have changed the rtc timer as it asked when I started it the first time.
qemu invocation is
qemu -m 512 -hda disk.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot c
where disk.img is the w2k disk image built by installing windows.

Please can someone tell me how to fully enable dma for disk access?
I really want to improve the performance because it's slow.

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger