qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?

From: ML
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:40:14 +0100

Hi list!

---
Hetz Ben Hamo said the following on 11/15/2004 10:14 PM:

Hi,

Today I installed NT 4 server and XP Pro.
In both cases I used new virtual disk partitions (4GB, and 5GB respectivly)..

Me too, I created a new 2GB virtual disk with qemu-img to make a fresh installation of XP Home.

As both OS's have 2 stages install, both run the first stage without
any problem (both of them were booted from their original CDs),
however, upon rebooting to the 2nd stage I had problems.. (on XP I had
the problem only after quitting qemu and restarting it)..

Yep, same thing to me.

In NT 4 - after starting qemu (after finishing first stage install) it
refused to reboot.
in XP Pro - after restarting qemu (after fully finishing installing XP
Pro) it says that the NTLDR is missing..

I get a Disk I/O error instead.

in both cases, the only way to bypass this problem is by using the
-hdachs parameter..
Why? what has changed that broke the normal behavior? how can it be fixed?

My quick and dirty fix of commenting out the call to bdrv_set_geometry_hint in line 1898 of hw/ide.c doesn't appear to work anymore with the disk image newly created with the 0.6.1 version. However my older disk images, created with previous versions of Qemu, don't work with 0.6.1 (it says that NTLDR is missing) but, if I comment out the line as per above, everything goes back to normal behavior.

Ciao,
Piero