qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Guest Tools

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu Guest Tools
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:24:12 +0400

Jim C. Brown wrote:
On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:44:35PM +0100, Oliver Gerlich wrote:

Planned features are:
-Notification of guest when it is loaded with loadvm

Why?

-Time synchronisation between host and guest (currently guest time is wrong when loadvm is used)

Technically this is a qemu bug and should be fixed in qemu.

Of course, any way to set the time in qemu guest w/o having to patch qemu
source is welcome.

I run an ntp client inside windows.

I am against mouse grabbing myself. I just use the no-sdl-grab patch and deal
with a desyncing guest mouse pointer (sometimes I can work around it by
turning mouse acceleration off in the guest).

I was thinking about a little guest app to keep them in sync. This is how win4lin does it and it works very well. It is dead easy to do under windows as mouse manipulation from userspace is a doddle, don't know about linux though.

Copy/paste and time sync could be done by external programs (Joshua mentioned mpcb; ntp, ...).

I'm not sure if ntp would work for qemu guest. The way qemu works, guest changes
to the RTC are overridden by qemu. Of course if the guest kept its own time
independent of the hardware clock, that wouldn't be a problem.

It does. I use anachron for windows.

I've decided against some special i/o port or such because I don't know anything about these things :) and because it would require a driver on the guest side (is that correct?).

Unfortuantly, yes. However, the magic instruction set would not. (You would
probably need to reimplement a new one for each arch qemu supports/will be
ported to though.)

This was my thought. Networking is not always available. A couple of IO ports
would always be there.

Regards,
Brad